Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center
The staff at the Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center have provided a number of ways for you to learn how to live a healthy lifestyle and self-manage your own health.
The most up-to-date patient education resource. At VISN 12 we believe a patient’s well being is above all else. We realize sometimes questions slip your mind when dealing with one of our healthcare professionals, and now you can search for answers 24 hours a day. With access to more than 4,000 topics relating to health and medication, Krames Online allows you and your family the ability to find answers to most questions, both big and small. Simply click on the search function to begin.
The My HealtheVet site provides veterans and their families excellent, reliable patient education information as well as the latest VA News. Information about veterans benefits and services is also available.
Upon registering with My HealtheVet, you will be able to —
- refill prescriptions online
- keep personal food and activity journals
- monitor your personal health data, such as blood pressure and pain levels
- maintain your own self-entered personal health record
Clinical staff provide ongoing health education during regularly scheduled outpatient clinic visits. Courses focus on —
- health promotion
- upcoming tests and procedures
- Diabetes Education
- Care Coordination: Home Tele Health Program
- Hepatitis C Program
- HIV Program/Tele Health
- Palliative Care Program
- MOVE! Weight Management Program
- Substance Treatment Program
- Women Veteran's Health Program
Staff can tell you about upcoming education classes that are available.
Clinical staff begin the patient education process at the time of admission, during the hospital stay, and at discharge. Our goal is to provide a hospital environment where patients —
- continually receive updated health information
- are able to ask questions about their health
- can enjoy as comfortably as possible their stay in our facility
VA Television Network (CCTV)
An on-demand education video system is available for all inpatient rooms and in some waiting areas. Ask the staff for further information on how to access the system.