Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center
We've listed some of the ways you can volunteer below. However, if you have special skills to offer, please call us so we can discuss how you can best use your talents to help our patients.
- Help by assisting patients to their appointments, pushing wheelchairs or providing directions.
- Running errands throughout the hospital
- Interact with residents to promote socialization, decrease isolation, decrease depression, provide a diversion from pain and encourage engagement in a positive use of leisure time.
- Engage resident in games, shopping in our canteen, having coffee, going outdoors, gardening, surfing the net, writing, etc.
- Entertainers promote happiness, enjoyment, a sense of well being, a diversion from pain and opportunities for reminiscing (performances are scheduled through the Recreation Therapist).
- Volunteers support quality care by helping staff to keep with office duties.
- Assignments are made on a case by case basis if there is an expressed need for it by a department.
- Volunteers are responsible for making coffee and displaying cookies in the Outpatient and Surgery Waiting areas.
- Engage with patients, visitors and staff as they enter and leave. Provide assistance as able.
- Volunteers work scheduled shifts, varying from 6 am to 4 pm, Monday through Friday.
- Assist and encourage residents in playing games, to attend socials, yoga, gardening, photography, etc.
- Recreation Therapist is the Direct Supervisor.
- Looking for drivers to pick up and drop off patients to OGJVAMC and throughout our service area.
- Meet patients at the Outpatient door and assist them in anyway necessary (getting/returning wheelchairs, visiting while drivers park the car, providing directions to appointments, etc).
- Opportunities on weekends, evenings and special events.
- Summer Youth Volunteer Program