Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center depends on the goodwill of our benefactors and volunteers who wish to give something back to America's heroes.
Volunteers provide many important functions throughout the Medical Center and help make our patients' stay more enjoyable. Volunteers can perform a number of services, and a volunteer's talents are closely matched with one of our many assignments.
To volunteer, call or visit the Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center Voluntary Service Office. We will be happy to receive your application or discuss how you can help us in our mission to provide comfort and care to America's Veterans. The Voluntary Service office is located on the 6th floor, Room 6107.
Cash donations are used for the comfort and welfare of our Veteran patients. Donations can be earmarked for the following usage:
• Butterfly Wish Program – Similar to a Make a Wish Program, our Hospice and Palliative Care team strives to give our Community Living Center and Home Based Primary Care patients an opportunity to make a wish come true as they near the end of their life.
• Canteen Books – Canteen books are used as prizes for patient recreational games. These books are redeemable at our onsite canteen and store.
• Coffee Program – As a courtesy to patients and visitors, we offer coffee and cookies during their visit to this facility.
• Emergency Social Work Fund – Emergency funding to veterans experiencing financial hardship.
• E-Range Program – Our specialized teams travel and reach out to rural veterans with severe mental health issues. The team members help establish links to VA medical services and coordinate local community
• General Purpose - All donations made to the general purpose fund are used for the direct benefit of veterans. These donations are used for programs, services and items not covered in the areas below. We can also use this funding if we are short on funding in the areas below.
• Holiday Programs – Supports patient programs for Veterans Day, The Holiday Party, Memorial Day, Fourth of July, Columbus Day, New Year’s Eve, Martin Luther King Day, Presidents Day, and Thanksgiving Day programs.
• Homeless Veteran Program – This provides support to a wide variety of needs of our homeless veterans.
• Hospice Care – Donations to this area go to assisting in creating an increased quality of life for those patients with life-threating conditions.
• Library – Donations to this area are used to buy newspapers and other literature for patients to enjoy.
• Patient Education - Patient educational items for our diabetic education and other programs.
• Recreational Activities – Donations to this area help cover the costs of routine recreational activities and programs for our resident and outpatient veterans.
• Special Events – Assists with Patient Outings (fairs, restaurants, fishing trips, museums, concerts, picnics, rodeo), Patient Carnival, Valentine’s Day, St. Patrick’s Day, National Salute to Veterans Week, Homecoming Week, POW/MIA, Annual Memorial Service, and our Annual Patient Campfire.
• Spiritual & Pastoral Care – It is the obligation of every VA Medical Center to provide for the unique and diverse spiritual needs of our patients. Donations to this fund aid in the delivery of these services.
• Welcome Home – As our troops return from overseas we make special efforts to get them enrolled for services at this facility. Donations to this program help sponsor these Welcome Home Events.
• Women’s Veteran Program – The growing population of Women Veterans present unique needs for support, including those for expecting mothers, those with children and other general women’s needs.
Non-cash contributions are also used to meet patients' needs. Items which are accepted include —
• recent magazines
• coffee and cookies
• new clothing
• telephone cards
• meal gift cards
To make a cash or non-cash contribution, please contact the Oscar G. Johnson VA Medical Center’s Voluntary Service or make an electronic donation by clicking the “E-Donate” button on this page.